School shopping time!!!! I love getting new school supplies and I have been out of school for decades now, still love the smell of new pencils. While this time of year is exciting, getting ready to start a new year for the students, and getting the kids back to school for the parents, it can be a little stressful and overwhelming. But wait, don’t hit the panic button yet! These tips will help you save money and stress, and the Girl Scout Shopping list will help your Girl Scout be decked out for the new year.
- Take a look of what you already have. Look through your bin of school supplies for those forgotten notebooks, pens, markers, and scissors. Take a look in the craft drawer or last year’s backpack and see what you can find to complete the list. While you are at it take a closer look at last year’s backpack, does it have another year in it? If not, see our suggestions below.
- Fashion show! Have your child try on last year’s clothes so you can see what actually needs replaced. Add some fun with high energy music to keep you child engaged, reward with a fun snack. Once you know what you have and what you need, ask other parents if they’d consider participating in a clothes swap. Don’t forget about old sports equipment to see if you can swap or sell anything.
- Compare, Compare, Compare prices online and in flyers before you head to the stores. See where has the best prices or sales, spending some time doing your homework can save you time and money in the long run.
- Double check your child’s school or their class supply list before buying anything, especially any high-priced tech items like computers or calculators.
- Buy to last. Take a closer look at what you are buying, cheaper isn’t always going to be better, if you have to replace it every month. Try buying the sturdier plastic folders and binders instead of the thinner ones. Look at the backpacks, I know kids want the “cool” character bags, mine is all about Star Wars this year, but getting the right backpack can help prevent injuries and can last more than one year. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends looking for backpacks with wide, padded shoulder straps and a padded back, or even getting a rolling backpack if your child is expecting to be carrying a heavy load.
Now for some inspiration, we have our list of favorites that will complete your Girl Scout’s shopping spree.
Lunch box Check out our custom GSHPA lunchboxes! This limited release is for our favorite Girl Scouts, it even comes with extra Girl Scout goodies inside to get you ready for the new school year and back to troop season!
Pencil/pens This pack of three pencils holds an eco-friendly surprise! Once you are done using it, you can plant it! Each is a biodegradable pencil that contains a green capsule containing seeds ready to plant.
Sneakers K-Swiss has a collection collaborating with GSHPA for some cookie inspired shoes! They created sneakers celebrating the three most popular cookies, Thin Mints, Samoas/Coconut Caramel, and Treifoils/Shortbread.
- Younger A new collection of styles with eco-conscious materials for your modern Girl Scout! Mix and match to create the perfect wardrobe for your girl. Coming late August.
- Older New designs for Cadettes, Seniors, and Ambassadors in uniforms and apparel. GSUSA created this versatile collection for the girls to mix and match colors and silhouettes to make it their own.
Sticker for your water bottle Show your style and Girl Scout love with this decal, designed to fit the curve of you water bottle. It is water resistant for easy cleaning.
Water bottle Here is a high tech water bottle for your Girl Scout on the go. This bottle handles hydration and purification, all in one! Just press the built-in button on the lid and UV light will purify your water in less than 5 mins. This double-walled, vacuum-insulated bottle keeps drinks hot for up to 12 hours and cold for up to 24 hours.
Laptop Bag designed for versatility you can carry your school supplies in this briefcase/messenger style bag.
Crossbody Bag This versatile bag can be worn over your shoulder or around your waist.
Socks These low-cut sporty socks are for true trefoil fans! Extra comfy which a cushioned arch.
Tablet Sleeve Add some extra protection and style to your table on the go!